Thursday, June 23, 2011

One of my least favorite things

is being on the front-line of our hiring process. On the other hand, I have great stories. Probably enough to fill a book, if I could remember them all. 

We put a help-wanted ad in yesterday's paper, so the phone calls have begun and I now have my first applicant.

Here's where we are so far:
He called twice trying to find the office --understandable, it is quite the complex.
He walked in and his opening line was, "Wow, I ran into the glass wall at the end of the hall.You know, the one next to the door"
Rubs goose-egg on forehead

Standard applicant attire, sports jersey, baggy pants,  tattoos, lots of them and reeks of cologne. He'll fit right in.

I hand him the application and show him into Sam's office to fill it out.

His name is Nick. He has no driver's license. He says, "I haven't got it yet."
I ask, "How old are you?"
"I'm 20," he replies.
"Did you lose your license?"
"No, I flunked the written exam and just never got around to it"
"So how do you plan on getting to work?" I ask
"Oh, I have reliable transportation."
Yea, like I haven't heard that line before....
"It's my wife, I'm like married."
Wow, no surprise someone snatched you up right away. You are such a hot commodity.
But on a scale of 1 -10, I'm giving him a 4. Because he showed up (or at least somebody made sure he showed up), he was polite, honest and smelled pretty darn good.

No comments:

Post a Comment