Wednesday, September 22, 2010

What I know for sure

is that these months and years of having Mom live with us could provide enough blogging material for many years to come.

This morning I was taking her to her house for the day and as usual, asked her what she was going to do.

"Well, I have a few things to put away from yesterday. But mostly, it'll take me most of the time to get ready to go have coffee with (former pastor) Rasches. Carolyn is picking me up."

Mom doesn't get a lot of social outings and I know she's been looking forward to this event. 

I drove up to the sidewalk and unlocked the house door. As Mom exited the car and slowing climbed the steps up the deck, she said, " I should probably go to the garden and pick the squash."

Now, my reaction was not that of a sweet, kind, patient, loving caregiver. It was more like a mental What the h@#l? that came out as "Why do you think you need to pick the squash."

"Well, it's supposed to rain."

I replied, "Those squash are going to be just fine out there."

"I know, I'm not going to do it. I was just saying I should probably be doing it."

And you know what, I knew exactly what she meant. Lest we anticipate or, heaven forbid, enjoy a social outing in the middle of the week, let us pause for a moment to consider the "slackitude" and possible loss of garden produce associated with having any fun at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment