Saturday, September 12, 2009

The State Fair







I have yet to figure out a better way to upload photos and captions--but because August is so doggone cute, I can't wait to get the pictures posted. I'm going to just plop them in here.
Sam and I recently made a trip to Addie and Tedd's. Sam fixed their roof and sealed the chimney while Addie and I made a quick trip to Trader Joe's. After Augusts' nap, we headed to the fair. The next three hours were mostly spent eating and drinking.

It's been several years since I've been to the Minnesota State Fair. However I do remember my first trip well. One summer (I was probably 15 0r 16) I walked beans with the Walker kids whose aunt lived close to the fairgrounds. They invited me to go with them, stay there and go to the fair. I felt rich--I probably had about $35 saved up from three weeks work.

It was my first time in the city and somehow I managed to find my way back and forth to the fair--with no inkling of fear as I walked the dark streets back to the house alone after a Three Dog Night concert at the grandstand. The late August night was hot and steamy so all the windows in the house were open. Sleep was impossible--traffic on the busy street continued into the early morning hours. I was used to sleeping with background noise consisting of cows, cats, crickets and birds.
I ran into a boy from my Sunday School class and we quickly became a couple. For those two days only. When we returned home he acted like nothing ever happened. I wasn't too upset--because without the smell of cotton candy and mini-donuts and the pounding music of the Midway, he didn't look all that great anymore either.
I returned home broke, sunburned and sleep-deprived, but I had kissed a boy--so nothing else mattered.








No comments:

Post a Comment